Monday, September 15, 2008

The Miracle of Growth....aka "Look What I Did"

Can you believe it, just three short weeks after the hoeing and prep work, furrowing and seeding I actually had stuff coming up out of the ground. The smaller row to the right is a row of beans, the one in the middle is also beans .I was very impatient last year and just jumped at the chance to put up a couple of stakes and run some string between them so that my little "sproutlings" would have something to climb. Little did I know they weren't even crawling yet , never mind climbing. The row to the left is corn, I know, it just looks like bits of grass but you won't believe how big it grows. Its like having a garden full of Triffids....(a little bit scary at night)

The rocks you can see around the edge of the garden/patch are all from IN the garden, I did not realise when we moved to the mountains that I was going to have to actually move a mountain to grow some veggies.



Here are the same three rows just a week or so later, l-r beans, beans, corn. As you can see they were getting bigger and it was time to do a little weeding between my rows. Judging by the smile on my face I must have been "reet proud" of the progress my little sproutlings were making. Like the hat?? That is my "its drizzling a little bit but I'm going down to the garden, hat"
If you click on the picture it will enlarge and you will be able to see the raindrops clinging to the cornleaves. That was about the only rain we had that summer and I spent every other evening watering my plants with a hose 'til I installed a sprinkler on a post high enough to give the whole 400sq feet a soaking. Growing up in a mostly urban part of England we never really grew anything for eating and such, although as kids we did of course slice the tops off carrots and put them in a saucer of water to watch them grow. Mum said us boys, Paul, Craig and Chris were growing potatos in our ears some of the time but she never dug 'em out and cooked them.
I am going to post this now so that i can continue the next entry with more photos

1 comment:

Tom Fisher said...

I'm the guy who had the MGB in my garage that you guessed was a 64/65. Actually. it's a 69 model - the color is Tartan Red.

Where abouts in England did you grow up? The reason I'm asking is that in 96, my wife and I spent three weeks in Oxford. While there, we attended an A.E. Housman Centenary celebration in Ludlow over a long weekend - we rode the train to Ludlow.

Here's a writeup:
http://www.nlci.com/users/fishers/england.htm

Drop me a line if you get a chance.

Tom Fisher