Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sunflowers and Pumpkin.

Late September, so that is about six weeks after planting all my seeds in the garden, and look at these sunflowers opening up. Bloody hell they are big and bright. The funny thing is you can actually see them follow the sun across the sky, in the morning they are facing east and at the end of the day they are watching the sun set in the west like a bunch of Florida sunbathers. I think the word for what they are doing is "heliotropis". Anyway whoever really thought of flowers twisting their necks to look around, sounds a bit scary that way doesn't it, like one of those portraits in a haunted mansion
Below are some more of my yellow squash (courgettes), its possible I may have planted too many and won't be able to eat them all, but part of the fun of growing your own veggies is giving them away to friends and family. Everyone always says how much better the taste is than the stuff bought at the supermarket. I did not know it but everywhere there is a flower on a squash plant there will eventually be a squash, what a surprise, I thought the flowers and the produce were seperate items on the same plant, truly I am a "Witless Gardener".

Heres some corn for you to look at. Really looks different when its not sat with you watching a movie don't you think? I have learned that corn is a grass and that it self pollinates, doesn't need bees or anything in order to propagate. Good word that, propagate. When you see a sturdy iron garden gate or castle portcullis you can say " Now thats a propagate" LOLOLOL I'll be here all week folks, tip your waitresses. Last but not least a Pumpkin.....TaDaaaa. I know ,I know it is green, but my ex-hippy wife has promised me it will turn orange. Just be patient she said. There is that P word again, time to go look for the orange spray paint. Oh and pumpkins grow right out from under the flower too, just like a squash, amazing what you learn.!!!!
Well time to toddle off to work so hopefully all you bloggers and friends and family out there will have a great day. Next time you see a flower look under it, there might be a surprise right under your nose.
Keep on digging,
Garden Geezer

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello. You commented on the blog of ChezMiki who in turn commented on mine. Out of curiosity I followed the link back to see who you were and discovered your very fine looking fall garden. Nary a bug or a weed in sight. In North Carolina you may get quite a bit out of it before Jack Frost bites you. Happy gardening and keep posting.

Leedslass said...

I found you via TG's blog who I, in turn, found via my daughter's blog - my word what a small world.
Here am I from Yorkshire and reading about gardening from a guy who went a long way to finally find a new passion. I shall follow your garden with interest.

Unknown said...

What happened to your blog? You began it well then let it drop. I was looking forward to your posts.