Monday, September 15, 2008

Pickles and Princes, Cabbages and Kings.


Here is a good picture of the other half of the garden The back row is Sunflowers then Cukes, Squash, Zucchini,Pumpkins. Nearer to the front were the carrots lettuce, beets, and something that didn't come up 'cos every time I walked through the garden to look at stuff I managed to step on it. Oops ! Weeeelll we didn't expect everything to come up, lolol.
I am not quite sure what it is I am so happy about in this picture, it could be anything, 'cos life is grand when your garden is "coming up roses". It seems that I am standing over some of Miss Cheri's lettuce if I remember correctly. I'll bet some of you didnt realise how big the garden was because I only showed y'all 3 rows in the previous couple of posts. Well let me fill you in, we actually had Squash, Zucchini, Lettuce, Carrots, Beets, Cucumbers and Pumpkins. We also had Sunflowers and even though I had seen sunflowers before and knew they grew very large, I figured someone had been pouring "Miracle Grow" on them, and I truly did not expect a massive size from ours as we were trying to grow our stuff without chemical assistance. Oh, a word of advice to all you new gardeners and veggie eaters out there...... do not go to your local garden store or hardware store and ask for pickle seeds, apparently pickles are made from cucumbers! Who knew? Everyone but me it seems. Mike Davis my neighbour and the local hardware store guy, managed to keep a straight face when I asked him, in front of a store full of people, for pickle seeds. He had me repeat it a couple of times so all the locals could get their jollies laughing at the idiot "furrner" in town, then he calmly faked a phone call to a "seed supplier" and told me he could have some for me in two weeks. I will say he was kind enough to educate me before I left the store with all the seeds I needed that he did have in stock. I suppose we all bring joy and entertainment to people wherever we can, even if it is by accident .


Here is the "Garden Geezer" himself looking all smug and content, not feeling the least bit stupid after shopping for pickle seeds. Its really nice to sit on our grassy embankment with a cup of hot or iced tea and watch the garden growing. Usually my lovely wife is sat beside me but someone has to be behind the camera recording this stuff for posterity. I have a picture somewhere of 3 tomatoe plants that my friend Charles' Nana gave to me, I'll see if I can find it and post that on the next entry.

Bye for now,
Keep hoe-ing
"Garden Geezer"

3 comments:

Elleona said...

Vive les bons légumes !
Bonjour de France.

Micki02 said...

Hello, i'm Micki one of Elleona's friend !! your garden is beautiful, excuse my english i' study it twenties years ago !!
bye and read you soon !!

Elleona said...

Il faut continuer à cultiver votre jardin ; rien de mieux que d'être près de la nature !
Bye...