Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A special blog entry for Faith and Walter

Hello Faith, Hello Walter. I felt as if I had to do a special entry just for you two. I know Walter is quite concerned with my tree chopping activities , so I decided to show you both some of the area where Cheri and I live in order to put your mind at ease about the massive number of trees around here.
As you can see from this first picture we are not short of the tall brown and green stuff. In certain places you can turn360 degrees and see nothing but trees. Admittedly most of the trees around us are not "old growth" the area has been harvested and replanted a coupla times probably since America was first colonised. And there certainly arent many(if any) Elms here since the Dutch Elm Disease hit some time ago. The sight of all these trees is beautiful though and they do support a lively ecosystem even if some of them are sacrificed once in a while to keep people warm in winter.


This second picture is of my lovely wife Cheri, who, like me, really enjoys the great outdoors. We actually met on a camping and canoe trip in the Okeefenokee Swamp which is on the border of Florida and Georgia.
We have hiked and canoed many miles together and I am sure there will be more stories on here in the future about some of those adventures so that you can gasp in awe, shiver in fear and laugh out loud at some of the silly predicaments we get ourselves into.

Once again walter a massive abundance of trees.






Another picture below, this time of the happy couple doing what we do best. Hanging out together and having a great time.This shot and the one above are taken from high on
Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina. On a good day they say you can see Virginia, South Carolina and Tennessee as well as....North Carolina.
Grandfather Mtn is also home to the Mile High Swinging Bridge which is really over 5280 feet high and when the wind is blowing, which it often does, really swings. It swings enough to scare people into not crossing it even though that was their main reason for going to the top of the mountain. There is also a wildlife preserve/zoo on the mountain where you can see bears,eagles,otter,deer and mountain lions or as they are called hereabouts mountain cats or cougars.
Well thats enough for now I suppose except to tell anyone reading this that Walter and Faith are friends of mine in England, both are retired although they do work hard at their favourite hobby which is Managing and Maintaining a nature reserve called Paxton Pits. Faith says she is going to start a Blog and I'm sure Paxton will be a large part of it. So if she does(hint hint Faith) make sure you have a look at it. Or you can click here http://paxtonpits.blogspot.com/ to have a look at some eccentric English folk looking after their little corner of the island.

All my best to Walter and Faith,
and any other wandering bloggers
Paul.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello. Just a note to say I enjoy your blog. I tried to follow it when you first started but as you post at odd intervals have not checked it since the Jimmy Mack post earlier in the year. I see you have been busy with floor refinishing, maple syrup making and wood chopping. I think I am caught up now. All these projects are very physical. You will either be in great shape or flat on your back. Anyway, you sound like you are having fun. I post something every day. Drop by some time.